PING might undoubtedly be one of the most used command by administrators. The ping utility was written by Mike Muuss in December 1983 as a tool to troubleshoot problems in an IP network. He was inspired by a remark by David Mills on using ICMP echo packets for IP network diagnosis and measurements.The author named it after the sound that sonar makes, since its methodology is analogous to sonar’s echo location (ref)
To make workstations communicate with each other, PING is a test command to check the connection established between two machines. PING relies on ICMP Protocol which is responsible for the reply and echo messages. The OS firewall rule will allow ICMP protocol only when inbound rule is set. We will learn how to create the inbound rule so that PING works –
Follow the steps here on all the machines to ping the machines:
- In the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security snap-in, click Inbound Rules in the tree, and click New Rule in the Actions Pane.
- Click Custom and click Next.
- Click All Programs and click Next.
- For Protocol type, select ICMPv4.
- Click Customize button for Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) settings.
- Click Echo Request, click OK, and then click Next.
- For which remote IP address does this rule append, click either Any IP address or These IP Addresses. Specify the IP addresses and click Add, then click Next.
- Click Allow the connection, and then click Next.
- Click the active profile, any or all profiles (Domain, Private, Public) to which you want this rule to apply, and then click Next.
- For Name type a name for this rule and for Description an optional description. Click Finish.
- Repeat steps for ICMPv6, selecting ICMPv6 for Protocol Type instead of ICMPv4 in Step 4.
PING should be working now.
With Anakage intelligent training technology it is easier to learn these concepts . It guides you step by step on your system. Above topic being discussed is also part of our “Learning Application” for Windows Active Directory. If you want to evaluate it let us know by sending a mail to us at email@example.com . You can know more about our offering for training.